Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Death

Death is an interesting topic to all of us. In different religions you get many different takes on it, from purgatory to paradise, or hell, it is all a matter of personal beliefs. The religion that you belong to inputs what you think about death, as does just the way that you grow up and the things that you are taught. Recently we all have dealt with the death of a beloved Prophet of the LDS church. It was a shock, and yet completely expected. When you looked around in the last few days you didn't see a whole lot of grieving...it was all more of a celebration, a celebration of life and a good life lived, and a happy thought that once again he is with his beloved wife. That is something that is different in many many ways.
In essence Death is normally unexpected and tends to be something that sneaks up on us and that all of us in some form or another, fear. I myself think of death as just another part of life, and that it is something to look forward to in the end. Yet, in all of our beliefs around the world, I still believe that death in and of itself, is a mystery, and as such it is feared by all of us.

2 comments:

Keith McKay said...

As I was thinking about President Hinckely's death that Sunday night, I came to a pleasant (and utterly true) conclusion. "Well," I said to myself, "He's a lot happier and a lot more relaxed than he was this morning." And I realized what a comforting way that was to look at death - just another blip on the eternal kronos, among other events that precede and follow it.

Anonymous said...

Oh man I can't wait to die! Don't misunderstand me when I say this, I'm not suicidal or anything but I am so excited to see what's on the other side. To meet my relatives, to explore and continue learning. What an adventure.