Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Classic Books

Classic Books....what is it that you think of when you hear that? In my case it has usually been either some boring english assignment or some form of torture. At least that is what I used to think of when I heard that. Now it is quite different. I have actually started to collect quite a few of the classic novels.
All from a different sort of category from Jane Austen, to Bram Stoker, or Leo Tolstoy....they all have some sort of something to add to your everyday life. You may not directly relate to the story in and of itself but there is always something in the books that you can easily apply to your own life. It is interesting at how different the authors views of the world are, and yet they can all be related in some way or another.
I still must say that I do not look forward to reading all the classics since I believe some to be corrupt, but perhaps even those have something to learn from them,.....even if it is too just never read it again....every book as something to add to your life. It is only right, and fair that you also allow the classic novels to have a chance to influence your life as well.

5 comments:

Lizi Dorff said...

I was so glad that you picked this topic! I'm a reader of the classics and in my opinion they are really the only books worth putting any time into. Sure, every once in a while it's nice to take a break from the heavy stuff and read Ella Enchanted or Eragon,you know, fun books. But the classics are More fun :) I particularly love discussing with others their opinions about the symbolism and diction, etc. I love reading, especially classics :)

Keith McKay said...

Whenever I'm faced with the (sometimes) daunting task of reading a piece of literature more than 100 years old, I mentally remind myself that usually there's a very good reason why this particular book is still famous centuries after it was written - why people WAY smarter than I am can talk about it, pick it apart and still only have scratched the surface. And I get a little more excited to read it.

Alex said...

I almot feel a sense of accomplishment when i read a "classic" because i feel like i have cultured myself. Not that i can relate to acadamia when they reference them, but i get a glimpse of the culture and the perspective that must have been significant to make it a classic.

Alex said...

I almot feel a sense of accomplishment when i read a "classic" because i feel like i have cultured myself. Not that i can relate to acadamia when they reference them, but i get a glimpse of the culture and the perspective that must have been significant to make it a classic.

bean said...

Being an english paper myself I can't help but comment on this topic. When I was in high school english we always were assigned to read classic books and I always felt bad for the people who would just go on sparknotes and pinkmonkey to get the plot outline so that they would just do well on the tests. These people are those that are interested in the sciences and maths that are probably going to end up being doctors :). But I think that reading makes you smarter than just saying you know the plot of some classic book. It gets you involved in another time period, in another person's shoes and its quite addicting really.